How to apply for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme
If you’re looking for in-home care through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP), our dedicated team can help you get set up in just three easy steps.
There are many options available to support you as you get older. Simple and quick to set up, the CHSP will suit you if you need a basic level of support to be able to stay at home safely and independently.
1. We’ll understand your needs
Start by getting in touch with our care team on (08) 9242 0119 and we’ll get to know a bit about you and your situation.
Once we understand your needs we can help you understand if you’re eligible for the CHSP.
2. We’ll guide you through the assessment process
To receive government funding for home care, you need to have a face-to-face assessment. For the CHSP, this will be carried out by an independent organisation called the Regional Assessment Services (RAS).
Your RAS assessor will work with you to identify your strengths, any areas of difficulty, and your goals.
To arrange a free assessment, you can:
- give us a call and our friendly team can help get you started
- register with My Aged Care, by calling them on 1800 200 422 with your Medicare number ready
- ask your GP to refer you for an assessment.
Assessments are usually carried out within 28 days depending on your location and your level of need. The assessment takes place in your home and is likely to take between 45 minutes and 2 hours, and you’re welcome to have a friend, family member or carer present.
To find out more, see What to expect at a RAS assessment.
3. We’ll set up your services
Your RAS assessor will develop a personalised home support plan. This plan:
- is tailored to your individual needs
- includes strategies on how to help you achieve your goals.
At this stage you can discuss your preferred organisation to provide the services you need and who you think is best placed to support you to achieve your goals.
The RAS will refer you back to your nominated service provider. If you’ve selected Silver Chain, we’ll contact you to set up your services!
If your needs change
If you think you need additional help, or more regular support, you can easily amend your home support plan.
To do this, you do have to have another assessment. Give us a call and we can help set this up through My Aged Care.
My Aged Care will talk to you over the phone to see how you have been finding things with your current support services. They will either:
- refer you for another RAS assessment, which will create a new home support plan for you and provide funding support for the services you need
- find that your needs cannot be met by CHSP anymore, and organise for you to have a more comprehensive assessment. This is done by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).