Our Home Hospital service enables you to receive a high level of health care in the community.
Our Home Hospital service helps you remain at home and out of hospital. We find that home is a more comfortable, less stressful environment and can improve quality of life for you, and your family and carers.
Our team consists of experienced nurses and medical practitioners who work together to provide high-level acute care normally provided in a hospital or emergency department. Care is provided both in your home and in our community clinics, depending on the treatment required.
Home and clinic visits may be scheduled between 7am and 9pm, with phone-based nursing support available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What can be treated?
We treat a wide range of conditions that would otherwise require hospitalisation. This includes:
- IV antibiotics – some conditions (typically infections) require antibiotics to be administered via a vein, usually in your arm
- IV rehydration therapy – rehydration via a vein in your arm is provided when you are unable to tolerate oral fluids
- iron infusions in our clinics – needed if you’re unable to absorb iron through your gut, or you’re in need of a rapid increase in iron levels
- anticoagulation management (‘blood thinners’) – may be required for many reasons, including cardiac problems, thrombosis or pulmonary embolus, and include ongoing monitoring of your condition
- wound care – our expert team use the latest techniques and technologies available to treat a range of wounds including drain care
- catheter management
- gastrostomy (PEG) tube re-insertions.
Our focus is on providing the highest quality clinical care.
Priority Response Assessment (PRA)
Our Priority Response Assessment (PRA) is a unique assessment service that provides advanced clinical assessments in your home or residential care facility. This is designed to help you avoid a hospital or emergency department visit.
This home visit service is available between 7am and 9pm, seven days a week. If your request for assessment is appropriate for a home visit, our PRA nurses will respond to your call within four hours. Phone-based nursing support is also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To contact this priority service, call 1300 650 803.
How do I get this service?
For more details on our Home Hospital service, please call our Contact Centre on (08) 9242 0242 to discuss your needs. We’re available to take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
How much does it cost?
Home Hospital services are free for most clients. We will let you know if this is not the case when we receive your referral.
Making a referral
The partnership between GPs and Home Hospital is crucial to delivering the best care and outcomes for clients. If you have a patient who would benefit from this service, please see how to refer to Home Hospital.
As well as receiving hospital-level medical and nursing care at home, you can also receive personal care and domestic assistance if required on a short-term basis to support your recovery at home. Ask us how on (08) 9242 0242.
Home Hospital is a cost effective, flexible and sustainable solution to manage the increasing demand on acute services. It helps keep our hospital beds free for those who need them most by bringing hospital-level care into the home.