Please complete the following questions so we can help you find the service that suits your needs.
I am located in...
Silver Chain to launch Palliative Care service in New South Wales
Commencing in December 2013, Silver Chain Group is proud to be working with eight New South Wales Local Health Districts (LHDs) to provide personal care and evening nursing visits for people being supported through their end of life stage at home.
Silver Chain is bringing its vast community-based palliative care experience acquired in Western Australia and South Australia to this collaboration.
The program will run under the Palliative Extended Aged Care in the Home (PEACH) model, which was developed and piloted by South Western Sydney LHD. Silver Chain’s role in the partnership involves supplementing the care each LHD’s community-based specialist palliative care team delivers, in supporting patients through the end of life phase. Silver Chain’s service will commence in the last seven days of life, and consists of:
- personal care during the day;
- a visit from an evening nurse (including additional personal care if required); and
- video support (via a tablet device) with a night nurse.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for Silver Chain to use its extensive experience in palliative care to complement the great work done by the specialist palliative care teams across the LHDs,” Mr Dan Minchin, Silver Chain Group’s General Manager, East Coast, says. “It’s really exciting to see the government and non-government sector working closely together to provide greater level support for clients and their carers.”
Silver Chain commenced operations in Sydney in December 2012 with ComPacks – short-term case-managed packages of community care to help eligible patients with a safe, supported, transfer home from hospital and prevent avoidable re-admission to NSW public hospitals. This latest palliative care announcement expands the not-for-profit’s program offering across Sydney and beyond.
“The announcement highlights the significance of the work of community-based providers like Silver Chain, to support people where and how they choose to be supported, and, in turn, reduce the burden on the hospital system.” Silver Chain Group’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr Christopher McGowan says.
- The eight LHDs are South Western Sydney, Western Sydney, Sydney, Nepean Blue Mountains, Illawarra Shoalhaven, Hunter New England, Mid North Coast and Northern NSW.
- South Western Sydney is the contract holder for the five metropolitan LHDs, Silver Chain Group is the contract holder for the three country LHDs.
- South Western Sydney will be using its Triple I Hub to co-ordinate and centralise the intake process to ensure ease of access for referrers.
- Silver Chain will provide personal care visits seven days a week, an evening nurse visit seven days a week and videoconferencing/telephone support throughout the night, seven nights a week.